Monday 25 March 2013

Quick Treats (eggless) - Microwave Chocolate Cake and Peanut Butter Cookies

As final deadlines are looming and my list of unfulfilled recipes grow longer, quick treats to cook in minutes are the order of the day!  I have recently turned to healthier versions of some favourite treats to keep me sustained through this mad time.  I don't know about you, but I definitely turn to sugar when I am stressed out, so having these smaller portion and lower sugar/fat recipes is a godsend.

Can you hear the angels singing? (Or that might just be my stomach o.O)

Let's briefly talk about this microwave chocolate cake.  The version that I am sharing is my go-to version - and I have tried several in my travels through the food blogosphere!  It is based on a Chocolate-Covered Katie recipe, tweaked significantly for my preferences.  It is a very dark, chocolatey variation that puffs nicely even without the addition of eggs.  It also has a somewhat fudgy consistency, so I would put it halfway between pudding (in the British sense, not the Jell-o sense!) and cake territory.

Ah, the supercomfort of peanut butter :D

The peanut butter cookies are pretty awesome.  For some reason, I've found it difficult to track down a good eggless version until now.  However, it was worth the wait as this is a healthier version that only yields 4-5 cookies per batch (essential for when stress would lead you to eat a full 36 cookie batch, if given the opportunity!)  It is still a rich-tasting cookie - I definitely recommend that you try this one :)

Microwave Dark Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Chocolate-Covered Katie blog
Makes 1 single-serving cake
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp packed brown sugar (add up to 1 tbsp more if this is not sweet enough for you)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil (canola is my preference)
  • 3 tbsp water (substitute milk for a richer, more cake-like taste)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  1. Mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder in a small bowl. Use a fork to mash out any lumps from the cocoa powder or sugar.
  2. Add oil, water, and vanilla to the dry mixture. Mix until combined.
  3. Transfer batter to a ramekin or mug that is approximately 3 inches in diameter.  Make sure that it is deep enough so that the batter does not fill it more than half way.
  4. Microwave for 45-60 seconds. I find that 55 seconds is perfect for me, but keep an eye on yours as it will depend on the microwave and the ramekin/mug that you use.
  5. Let cool to a safe eating temperature and serve (directly into your mouth from the ramekin ;P)!
Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from Mix it Up blog
Makes 4-5 cookies
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt (omit if using a pre-salted peanut butter)
  • 3 tbsp 100% peanuts all-natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp unsweetened applesauce
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
  3. Add peanut butter, vanilla, honey, and applesauce to the dry mixture. Mix until combined.
  4. Drop the mixture in spoonfuls on the lined baking sheet.  Alternatively, if you want the cookies to be nicely rounded, roll the spoonfuls into balls before dropping on the baking sheet and press down lightly with a floured fork.
  5. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes until puffy and edges are just turning golden brown.
  6. Let cookies sit on the baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.  Cool to room temperature and serve!

I hope you enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...